BERC Awards Sustainable Sacramento Business

The presentation recognized the best environmentally proactive companies in the Sacramento area whose work practices demonstrate an exceptional commitment to improving sustainability. Awards and achievements of the recipients: United States Cold Storage – Energy Conservation Award Partnered with SMUD by participating in their energy efficiency incentive programs, Power Direct program and installing solar panels and a future battery system. Is in the process of converting their gas park to all electric. Participated in SMUD’s Custom Retrofit incentive program by installing innovative quick-freeze ventilation systems in their existing warehouse. Cal Waste…

Read More

New Sarcoidosis Directive Bringing Light to Darkness

Nothing about sarcoidosis is easy. First identified in 1877, this is quite common. In the USA, the lifetime risk is 2.4% and 0.85% for African Americans and whites, respectively. Yet this remains an enigma. Despite studying its genetics and immunopathology, we do not know its cause. Diagnosis is difficult because non-caseous granulomas, the tissue finding associated with sarcoidosis, are not disease specific. With the exception of Löfgren syndrome, a well-described sarcoid presentation which suggests an excellent prognosis, the initial signs and symptoms are variable and the course of the disease…

Read More

Ghana signs $ 1.2 billion deal to develop bauxite resources

(Bloomberg) – Ghana has chosen Rocksure International as a strategic partner to build a mine and refinery with the aim of developing an industry from its untapped bauxite reserves. The Accra-based company will own a 70% stake in the project and state-owned Ghana Integrated Aluminum Development Corp. will hold the remaining 30%, according to an emailed statement Thursday. Rocksure will lead the construction of a $ 200 million bauxite mine at Nyinahin-Mpasaaso in central Ghana and a bauxite refinery of around $ 1 billion, according to Michael Ansah, managing director…

Read More

Could Cleaner Cows Help Protect the Planet?

You can potty train your children and even, with a little effort, your cats. It turns out that there might be a backyard animal that knows how to use the toilet even better than toddlers and kittens, and the impact that could have on the environment could be huge. A new study conducted at Cell has found that young calves can be successfully trained to poop and pee in designated areas. And researchers believe that if scaled up, the practice could have a big impact on controlling waste ammonia, one…

Read More

Drought-haves, have-nots are testing how to share water in the West

MADRAS, Oregon – Phil Fine stands in a parched field and watches a harvester gnaw through his crop of carrot seeds, spitting clouds of dust in its wake. Cracked earth lines empty the irrigation canals, and dust devils and tumbleweed punctuate a landscape in shades of brown. Across an invisible line separating the Fine irrigation district from the next, it’s another world. Automated sprinklers whistle as they water crops, cattle munch on green grass, and water boils through lush green farmland. In this strip of central Oregon, where six irrigation…

Read More