Soil and water

75 years of preservation | Columns

After the historic Dust Bowl in the 1930s, state and federal legislators began to understand the impacts that poor soil management was having on farms and communities across the United States. In 1945, Pennsylvania legislators, led by the United States Department of Agriculture, recognized that the best way to manage soil and water was to support local conservation efforts and passed the Pennsylvania Conservation District Law. The Conservation District Act empowered the county governing body to declare its county a conservation district if a substantial portion of landowners favored the resolution. On April 2, 1947, the Adams County Board of Commissioners issued the declaration at the request of local farmers and citizens of the county, and the organization now known as the Adams County Conservation District (district conservation) was created.

This designation made the Conservation District the primary local government unit responsible for the conservation of natural resources and authorized the Conservation District Council to direct and determine priorities for the implementation of programs, projects and activities aimed at preventing and controlling nonpoint source pollution in Adam County.

To learn more about the Adams County Conservation District, please visit us at the Adams County Agriculture and Natural Resources Center at 670 Old Harrisburg Road in Gettysburg. Adam McClain is the District Manager for the Adams County Conservation District.